WHAT EVERY VOLUNTEER SHOULD KNOW BEFORE YOU GO TO THE RANCH!
Regular daily chores include: dump/scrub/fill water buckets and troughs, stall cleaning, pasture cleaning, bathing, grooming, braiding, feeding, mowing grass, painting, maintenance, and anything else that might need to be done that day.
Please wear; closed-toe shoes or boots. Attire is casual, jeans or shorts and a t-shirt. Please do not wear jewelry or clothes that are important to you as they may get ripped, lost, or stained. When you arrive be ready to work!
We still need volunteers when it is hot, cold or rainy.
During the summer months, you may want to bring sunscreen, bug repellent, rubber boots, a raincoat, and work gloves. However, none of these items are required.
Please bring a small cooler with your own drinks, snacks, and any medications you may need as we do not have a refrigerator or vending machines.
Want to become a Volunteer?
NOW YOU HAVE TO MAKE A CHOICE:
1. Will you be coming on Tuesday and Thursdays ONLY?
2. Would you like to be able to come on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays?
So, have you decided which option is best for you?
Option 1 is two days a week; Tuesday & Thursday
Option 2 is four days a week; Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday
For those who are not interested in becoming a volunteer-member; we also work with "Hands On Broward" and "Volunteer Match" so you can volunteer by signing up through either of those organizations. Just go to their website, sign up and then search for F.R.I.E.N.D.S. under opportunities. However, you may only volunteer on Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30-5:30 pm.
There is no regular time commitment for Tuesday and Thursday volunteers. Volunteers may come as early as 12:30 and leave at any time before or up to 5:30. You may attend on either day or on both.
On your first visit, if you are under 18 years old, your parent or legal guardian will need to come in with you to fill out all of the "Releases & Waivers." Whoever is filling out the forms will need to have a valid ID when providing the paperwork to us. If you have paperwork from other agencies such as school, court or diversion programs, that you need us to sign, you will need to bring that with you on each visit. We do not backdate any paperwork and maintaining this paperwork is your responsibility.
In order to be eligible to become a MEMBER-VOLUNTEER which gives you access to volunteer on Tues., Thurs., Sat. and Sun. from 12:30-5:30 PM, the following requirements must be met:
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO FILL OUT AN ONLINE MEMBER VOLUNTEER APPLICATION AND SET UP YOUR SAFETY AND ORIENTATION CLASS
• The minimum age for volunteers to be dropped off is 13 years old.
• Families are encouraged to volunteer together and are welcome! We also offer a family membership. Volunteers may come as early as 12:30 and leave at any time before or up to 5:30. You may attend on either day or both.
• Parents/Legal Guardians must stay and volunteer alongside the child if their children are under the age of 13 years old.
• All member volunteers are required to attend the Safety & Orientation Class prior to volunteering. The first hour of the class will be informational and the following two hours of the class will be "hands-on" volunteering. PLEASE come ready to work and dress appropriately.
• The first day you come will be a total of three hours.
• If you are under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must attend with a valid ID, to sign our releases and waivers before the Orientation & Safety Class begins.
The Orientation & Safety Class is held promptly at 1:00 on the first Saturday and the third Sunday of every month. You will need to register for the class you would like to attend. Please keep in mind, you can not start volunteering until you have attended the Orientation & Safety Class
Would you like to have a group visit??
Group visits of five or more people must be booked in advance. If you have a group that would like to visit F.R.I.E.N.D.S., please fill out the message box at the bottom of the page providing at least three dates that are good for you and approximately how many people will be coming in your group. Also, please let us know if you will be coming to volunteer or just coming to meet and greet the animals. We welcome all groups! Student classes, girl scouts, boy scouts, churches, temples, office team builders and anyone else!
19801 Sheridan Street, Southwest Ranches, FL33332
Help make a difference and volunteer today!
If you have a group of 5 or more people that would like to come and volunteer, please fill out the box listing three dates that are good for you that we can choose from. We look forward to seeing your group soon!